Friday 3 August 2012

Samurai, 1st attempt

Never let it be said I'm not open to new ideas and periods as long as it's even remotely Historical.
With that in mind I have taken a break from the little 20mm plastic men and decided to have a crack at Wargames Factories 28mm plastic Samurai.
Fellow Strategist, Tex Houston, planted the Samurai seed in my mind some time ago, and after much browsing on the net and research into the period....well I actually just watched a couple of samurai movies, I decided I'd give it a go.
I've always been a bit daunted about painting samurai due to the bewildering array of colours and detail so I thought I'd start with the Ashigaru, at least they had some semblance of standardised attire.

Here is my first foray into this fascinating period. Bear in mind this is just the preliminary stages of painting with the base coats applied and lots more detailing, shading and high-lighting to follow.






 As you can see they have a long way to go yet and I've only done the easy bits. I've decided to go with decals for the mons and standards because there's no way my hand is steady enough to make a crisp job of it.

I found assembling the figures quite simple but you do have to be careful not to catch your hand on the spear points as they have a tendency to snap off if you're a clumsy oaf like me.


My happy place.


All my vallego paints are in the drawer to my right for easy access and my brushes and tools are all in drawers. I like to tidy up at the end of a session, even if it's 1.00am so that when I recommence everything is ship shape and tidy...pathetic really, I bet Picasso or Van Gogh never worked like this.

I've found the gel computer keyboard wrist rest ideal for resting my painting hand on and the fluorescent overhead light is perfect for showing up my deficiencies!! I've given up looking at my figures under the magnifying glass...too embarrassing.

5 comments:

  1. Like you I've been fascinated by Samurai and have an inkling to do some and these might be just the inspiration I need. I'm very envious of the 'man Space' too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff and great painting too! I have some Samurai from Zvezda in 20mm here awaiting till I have time for them, so maybe I can steal some of your colour schemes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samurai look fantastic Gav. I am a little stumped on the last photo though!! Excellent stuff mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're probably not used to seeing my painting area so tidy Roger, it's part of the new tidiness and efficiency regime I've imposed on myself.

    Those Zvezda figures are superb Sander and with the mini packs they're bringing out now you could field some pretty impressive armies. I'll probably do skirmish level games in 28mm and maybe do some bigger armies in 20mm (Zvezda) using the Kings of War rules.

    Yes I am indeed blessed to have such a comfortable man cave Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good start Gav. Yes, its another period I have thought about but like you I am put off by the array of bonnie colours on their detailed armour panels etc...

    Good to see you moving up to 28mm too!

    Very tidy workspace! I'm crammed in my alloted space in the familyroom, and when you're crammed, everything ends up on top of other stuff - I am forever moving stuff around trying to find pots of paint or glue or whatever. It was never planned that way, I was supposed to paint in the gamesroom, but SWMBO misses me if I sit in there all night..., so I got my return to barracks orders...

    ReplyDelete